Monday, January 21, 2008

I never write a recipe down...

nor do I ever make the same dish twice. I have always had a problem following recipes. I get creative and have to change them around. Well I made a spinach dip and wrote down the recipe for the first time ever. The day of the LSU Championship game we had a company tailgate for lunch and I brought my spinach dip. Hope you enjoy.

Spinach Madeleine

2 tablespoons olive oil
Crushed red pepper flakes
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
Chopped seasoning (onion, garlic, bell pepper and celery)
2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
½ or 1 cup of evaporated milk
2 packs of frozen chopped spinach
Chicken stock
¼ block of Velveeta cheese
Worcestershire Sauce
Hot Sauce
Salt
Black Pepper

In a sauce pan heat olive oil and sweat the crushed red pepper flakes to flavor the oil. Add the butter and sauté the seasoning. Make a white roux by adding the flour to the seasoning. Be sure to cook your flour. Slowly add the evaporated milk while stirring constantly to avoid lumps. Bring the mixture to a boil then add the spinach. Use the chicken stock to get the sauce to the right consistency. Add the cheese and the rest of the ingredients. Make adjustments according to taste.

Serving suggesting:
Dip with Tortilla Chips
Add chicken to the recipe and serve in puff pastry cups for an hors d’oeuvre
Florentine: Serve over grilled chicken or shrimp

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Can't believe you actually wrote it down! Looks good - I'll have to try it...